Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Few Concerns

          I am new to blogging, and as such, there are a couple of things that are troubling me. First, I do not have a target audience. My objective is to dispel some of the misconceptions that people have of seminarians. Since pretty much everybody has some idea of what a Catholic seminarian is, pretty much everybody is included in my audience.
          One rule for effective speaking -I presume it applies to blogs as well- is that the subject matter must be narrow in scope. Bloggers typically examine life through the lens of some hobby such as cooking. I don’t really have any hobbies here. I am too busy studying philosophy. Looking at the world through religion or philosophy, would expand the subject instead of limiting it. I would hate for the subject to be me. For one, I am not that interesting. Secondly, I hold the opinion that blogging about yourself is quite narcissistic. I would try to blog about my relationship with Christ within the framework of the seminary, but by talking about God, I run the risk of sounding like a religious nut. And if there is one thing I hate worse than a walnut, it is a religious nut. This is ironic because a religious nut is exactly what I am. Yet I am so much more than that.
          All these concerns get me no closer to an acceptable answer. Philosophy often leads you into such traps that any action you perform goes against logic. When this happens, one must go ahead and act regardless of reason. Likewise, I will go ahead and write. Perhaps later I will find a focus and direction. For now, I would advise the reader to simply skip a blog post that does not apply to them. As much as I would like to, I cannot write to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment