Saturday, December 10, 2011

Why You Should Hold Open Doors

               I must reveal to the reader that I am a very utilitarian minded individual. I cannot claim to be very selfless, but I do attempt to mind others. I am the kind of person who times how long it takes a crowd to exit a room and realizes that the process goes faster if someone holds the door open. I often hold open doors for just such reasons. After all, if there are 100 people in the room, and my holding the door allows everyone to get where they were going an average of 5 seconds faster, I have saved 8.3 minutes of time. 8.3 minutes of time may not seem like much, but if that room was full of medical researchers, I may have advanced the cure of cancer by 8 minutes and by doing so, saved countless lives!
               As it stands now, I do not hold open doors for medical researchers, but instead hold them open for seminarians and monks. Realize that these are seminarians and monks who pray for your eternal soul. I don’t make any claims about the state of your soul, but I figure you need all the help you can get. By my logic, if I hold open the door, I figure that is 8.3 minutes less prayer I have to do! I try not to think about the fact that I can be replaced by a $2 door wedge. 
               I think this service needs to be reciprocated. So, the next time you can, hold a door open for the people behind you, and as you do, say a little prayer for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment