Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Break

               Thanksgiving is a much needed and well appreciated break from the academic year. This does not mean that it is a break in any other sense of the word. Thanksgivings are always big affairs at my house. This year was a small Thanksgiving with only a dozen people showing up. A couple years ago I counted over fifty people in one room.
               The frantic rush of preparing meals spills over into the rest of the break. It may be due to the 20 plus hours of traveling time, but I never feel as though the break is long enough. I never seem able to finish the things I need to do or see the people I want to see. This year I made a list of things I wanted to do on my break. I did half the things on that list.
               Things I need to get done are not necessarily on this list. I need to study for an exam, write dozens of letters, and get a new tire put on my car. There is a hierarchy in the things I do. There are things I want to do. Above that there are things I should do. Above that there are things that I must do. Someday, I will be a responsible adult and start at the top of that list instead of at the bottom. Today is not that day. Today, I update my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment