Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hate God

               I am a strong advocate for hating God. What I mean by saying this is very specific, but I hope that you find it understandable. I think that nearly everyone in the world has a reason to hate God.
               Who has not been touched by the sufferings of this life? Family members die excruciatingly painful deaths as cancer eats away at their bodies. Children are buried by their parents after being forced to fight in an unjust war. Spouses leave each other. The list can go on and on. How can an omnipotent and benevolent God allow all this to happen? God is responsible. God made this happen, or at the very least, he could have prevented it.
               The problem of evil is one that deters many from believing and brings doubt to the hearts of believers, and I don’t think it can easily be dismissed or ignored. I don’t intend to attempt an answer here. To my standards, I can satisfactorily make sense of this contradiction in my own mind, but rational answers don’t help.  Having answers doesn’t make the dead come back to life. Answers don’t make the pain any more bearable.
               Faithful believers often feel like it is a travesty to harbor a hatred for the divine. Through my own experience I can say that God is plenty big enough to deal with your infinitesimal wrath.  No matter how large the stones, or how great the velocity, you cannot throw a stone large enough, or with enough force to deal any damage to the gates of heaven.
               I wonder how often, if ever, the unbelievers of the world tell God how upset with them they are. I think that God would rather have someone speak words of hate to him than to continue their detestation in silence. The fact is that people are pained. I think we do our humanity a disservice by not admitting our pain.
               And maybe… just maybe, if you are lucky, do I dare say that God will make some of that pain go away?

No comments:

Post a Comment