Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tapioca and Life

               This past weekend I made a trip to Conception to collect my belongings. The journey was a long, expensive, and quite fun… I guess it’s a little bit like life.
               The one thing that made the biggest impression upon me was a dish of delightfully delectable kolek from Simply Siam in Maryville Missouri. This warm desert consisted of tapioca sweetened with coconut milk and flavored with jackfruit. I am well-accustomed to tapioca, but have never so much as heard of a jackfruit before now.
               As I slurped down the scrumptiously slimy pearls I wondered if I would ever again have the pleasure of enjoying this dish. I wondered if I would ever taste jackfruit again. I wondered which of my classmates I would never again cross paths with. Like my desert, I greatly enjoyed the company of my old friends, but I had to think at how improbable such a meeting was.
               There is only one present moment. The rarity of the present moment makes it more valuable.  One should be fully engrossed in the moment he or she is in. My spiritual director introduced me to a Latin phrase. Age quod agis roughly translates into ‘do what you do’. It serves as a reminder to fully engage the present.  
               Living in the present is incredibly difficult to do. Aside from enjoying my tapioca, I strain to relish the situations which I find myself. I tend to desire different company, different scenery, or different activities. Viewing the present moment as a rare gift that needs unpacking or a bowl of exquisite tapioca that needs devouring helps me appreciate my present situation. Maybe it can do the same for you.

              
              
                
                

No comments:

Post a Comment